Nurturing the whole musician
Our aim is to provide a music education programme from age 0 to 18 that strives for excellence and nurtures the development of the complete, independent musician. From beginning to advanced levels, the core studies include:
- Piano tuition through the Suzuki approach
- Kodály musicianship studies - a singing-based approach for training inner hearing, developing sight-reading, and for understanding the structure of music.
There are presently over forty-five students enrolled, ranging in age from 3 to 16, taught by Stephen Power and Betty Power. In one academic year, all students attend a weekly piano lesson (thirty-six lessons in total), and Saturday group classes (thirty classes). They also perform in at least two formal concerts each year.
Other activities include:
- opportunities for regular observation of other students' lessons
- group class concerts and performance practice sessions
- outside performance opportunities
- composition, chamber music, and contemporary music coaching and performance (at appropriate stages)
The two-fold approach of this Suzuki/Kodály musicianship programme offers students great variety and depth, and is unique in the UK and throughout Europe.
16 March 2008 14:28